Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Case for Western Civ


If there is one course everyone should take in college, my high school civics teacher told us, it's the history of Western civilization. But I didn't. Now, 35 years later, I am.

Was he right? Yes, and better late than never.

Team taught by two faculty members who specialize in different regions and periods, my course in European history surveys four centuries of ideas and movements across the U.K. and east and west Europe. My professors complement each other's differences in  knowledge bases and personality. But they also share a fabulous rapport, a talent for teaching and good humor.

On the first day, Holly Case introduced herself after Robert Travers. In her dead pan manner she commented, "Ok. You met him. He uses words like 'liberating' and 'thrilling.' I -- don't. He's wearing colors. I'm in black. So you met good cop. I'd like you to meet bad cop."

More serious, she observed that ideas can be fascinating (the role of education, religion and economics for example)  but also dangerous (excessive nationalism, imperialism, anti-Semitism to name a few).

Moving through the 15th-19th centuries, there is a particular suspense in approach of the 20th century and legacies that now challenge our world.

My reactions to the huge wealth and complexity of information and ideas presented in this course, has steadily ran from "Hunh!" to "Oh-h-h-h-h...." to "Aha!" These spring forth in my mind -- guttural and spontaneous-- whether from hearing about the Hungarian Comenius, an early believer in open access and universal education; enlightenment ideas used to justify colonization and imperialism; finding out how 16th century exploration brought home new colors of indigo and carmine; Baroque art and music as a communications medium for the Catholic Church; the ingenuity of the Lyonnais silk industry in launching French fashion and marketing with neckties.

But what it does best is to highlight intellectual history and its role in power, politics, and economics, as opposed to, say, one that focuses more on science and technology.

For me what is most valuable, what moves me most deeply, is following the the long pathway of human rights across the European continent through centuries: for the serfs, the poor, Protestants, slaves, factory workers, women, Jews, and others; and from the right to reap rewards from hard labor and worship according to beliefs, to the right to vote, to learn, to hold property and on. It is in this way that I see today's struggle for human rights among gays, lesbians and transgender persons as a continuation of that pathway.

How can we fully appreciate where and what we are without knowing how we got here? It's why I believe my high school teacher spurred us onward.

European history is my start. But there's a vast world out there to explore.




                                                                   




No comments:

Post a Comment